The doctor said they’ll have to carry out a few test to determine the babies survival. I was asked to stay calm at all times and stay away from anything that would stress me. That was not going to be easy for either of us.
We got a call a week after from the hospital. They needed me to come in for another test. Charlie wasn’t working that and so he accompanied me. I nervously walked into the doctor’s office and he told the result will be ready in a week.
“Are we out of the woods yet?”, he asked me with teary eyes. I had never seen this before, he was concerned about somebody other than himself. I liked it.
“I don’t know, we’ll have to wait for the results.”, I told him.
He still looked very worried and now I was unsure if liked this side of him or not. I needed to find a way to cheer him up, for both our sakes.
“Hey, why don’t we go for ice cream?”, I suggested.
I knew that he wouldn’t resist the offer, he’s sucker for ice cream.
We drove off to his brother’s ice cream parlor. I didn’t even want the ice cream but seeing Charles smile brought joy to my heart.
We broke the news to some of our friends and their reactions were sort of bitter sweet. I was just grateful that we had people praying for us.